- This page contains pictures and information about Metallic Jewel Bugs that
we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia. They are also known as Metallic
- Body length 15mm
- Metallic Jewel Bugs can be found on leaf letter or under bark. They feed
on vegetable, garden plants, trees and fruits. The bugs are metallic green in
colour with orange and black patterns on the back. Underside of their body is
bright red and black in colours.
This bug is in the Shield-backed bug family. Shield-backed bugs are plant suckers. They
can be distinguished from other shield bugs by their scutellum completely covered the
whole abdomen and wings. This is why sometimes they are miss-recognized as beetle. They
are easily distinguished from beetles by having sucking mouthparts
and the shield on the back is continuous, not the divided wings cover with separation
at the middle.
- Those pictures are taken in Yugarapul Park on Oct 2004.
Metallic Shield Bugs Gathering?
- Images thanks to Tracey Steele, Sydney
- On mid summer Dec 2008, Tracey in Sydney sent us the above photos and
concerned about so many of those bugs on exposed roots and trunk of tree in
her backyard. We know that for some insects, includes some shield bugs, females
use Pheromone to attract males. Sometimes a number of males detect the smell of females and gather together around
them. We never saw so many Metallic Jewel Bugs in one place and do not know why they were there.
Please advise if you know the
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, p 508, plate 3Q.
- 2. Insects of Australia, Hangay, George, & German, Pavel, Reed
New Holland, Sydney, 2000, pp 65.
- 3. Scutiphora
pedicellata - Australian Biological Resources Study,
Department of the Environment and Heritage, Commonwealth of Australia 2005.
- 4. Revision of the Australian Scutelleridae Leach
(Hemiptera) - FJD McDonald and G Cassis, Australian Journal of Zoology,
Back to top
[ Up ] [ Green Shield Backed Bug ] [ Metallic Shield Bug ] [ Green Jewel Bug ] [ Ground Shield Bug ] [ Cotton Harlequin Bug ]