This page contains pictures and information about Bee Flies in Tribe Villini
that we found in
the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- In this tribe, the beeflies have their wing vein Rs forks very close
to cross vein r-m. They are medium to large size flies. They have stout body with wings hyaline. Their
body usually has contrasting stripes. Villini and Exoprosopini
are closely related and they look and behave very similar.
- There is not much information above this Tribe Villini in Australia
- Villa Bee Fly I
- Villa sp., body length 12mm
- This fly look like a bee and it was hovering near flowers. We first thought
it was a Hovering Fly. However, from its wing vein, we are sure it is a Bee Fly
belongs to Family Bombyliidae. The pictures were taken in Macgregor Bushland
during early winter. We saw this fly only once. Please click on here
for more information.
- Villa Bee Fly II
- Villa sp., body length 10mm, male, female
- The beefly is yellowish brown in colour with banded abdomen. Those bands
are dark brown with narrow pale brown, with one band is white. The wings are
clear with a white spot at the wing base. We have more information and
pictures in this page.
- Villa Bee Fly III
- Villa sp., body length 10mm
- Picture was taken in Karawatha Forest in early summer 2004. Please
check this page for more information.
- Villa Bee Fly IV
- Villa sp. body length 10mm, male, female
- Pictures were taken in Karawatha Forest during early summer. The fly was
resting on plant materials on the ground. The beefly is yellowish brown in
colour with banded abdomen. Those are dark brown bands with yellow narrow
bands. Please check this page for more
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, p 759.
- 2. Insects of Australia and New Zealand - R. J. Tillyard, Angus
& Robertson, Ltd, Sydney, 1926, p364.
- 3. Bee Flies (Bombyliidae) - - by Giff Beaton, 2005.
- 4. An evolutionary radiation of beeflies in semi-arid Australia: systematics of the Exoprosopini (Diptera: Bombyliidae) - Lambkin CL, Yeates DK & Greathead DJ, Invertebrate
[ Up ] [ Anthracini-Anthrax ] [ Anthracini-Thraxan ] [ Exoprosopini ] [ Villini ]