- This page contains pictures and information about Termite Assassin Bugs in
Subfamily Tegeinae that
we found in the Brisbane area, Queensland, Australia.
- There is only one species in this subfamily. It is a specialised termite
- Termite Assassin Bug
- Tegea atropicta, adult body length 18mm, last instars body length 12mm
- In Australia this is the only one member in this subfamily. This Assassin Bug was found in later summer on a
gum tree trunk in Wishart Bushland. This bug is a specialist predator of
termites which are found on trees or fallen logs. More information and
pictures can be found in this page.
- 1. Insects
of Australia, CSIRO, Division of Entomology, Melbourne University
Press, 2nd Edition 1991, pp 494.
- 2. Insects of Australia and New Zealand - R. J. Tillyard, Angus
& Robertson, Ltd, Sydney, 1926, p150.
- 3. Family REDUVIIDAE
- Australian Biological Resources Study, Australian Faunal Directory.
- 4. Reduviidae - Australian National Insect Collection Database,
Web site by Steve Shattuck and Natalie Barnett, © Copyright 2005-2010 CSIRO Australia.
Back to top
[ Termite Assassin Bug ]